Friday, January 22, 2010

Why

Why
Such a small word, with such a deep meaning.
*Why is the sky blue
*Why am I here?
*Why does this school have curfew?

I go to God almost everyday with the question of Why.  Today is no different.
Why God?  What do you have up your sleeve?  I don't know something that I want to know.  In my finite brain, I can't comprehend, or see, or distinguish what is happening, or *why* it is happening.

"All things work together for good for those who love him, for those who are called according to his purpose" Romans 8:28
"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

I like how God says in Jeremiah 29. I know. He doesn't say, you know the plans i have for you.  He is calling us to trust him.  Trust him with our future.  Trust him with our doubts.  Trust him even when we just don't understand.

"See I have refined you though not as silver.  I have tried you in the furnace of affliction.  For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned?  My glory I will not give to another" Isaiah 48:10-11

There are so many things I like about Isaiah 48:10-11.

First, tried you in the furnace of affliction.  That ain't small stuff.  We are talking about a blazing fire.  Now I'm pretty sure that is no small trial.  God is refining me in the blazing freaking furnace.  I think of Shadrach, meshach, and abednego in the furnace where even the guys throwing them in died because it was so hot.  God is refining me, but it isn't easy.  He has cranked the heat up so that I NEED him!

Second, The fact that it repeats "for my own sake, for my own sake" Obviously this is a message God wants to get across.  I imagine him speaking this to me and saying it once, but then looking me in the eye, turning my head, and saying "Christy" before he says it.  He wants me to know it is for him.  Seems selfish yea?  My very first thought process said.  "Wait, so i have to go through the flames for God's sake...uhhh...thanks God"  No Way!!! He wants us to magnify him, because when we magnify him our joy is made complete.  He is emphasizing this out of love.  God wants us to know that he will not be defamed.

Third, for the sake of his elect, he will not allow us to yield the glory he deserves to another.  He wants the control.  Honestly, he is the only one that deserves it.  When he sees us give glory to another, he is jealous.  He deserves our glory AND he knows that its only when we are glorifying him that we are satisfied.  The nation to which this passage refers, would not become pure as silver, but they would still be tested and refined and the Lord is constantly doing that to us.

Who would ever like going through fire.  No one.  But we must be refined.  I must be refined.  I too often yield the glory to another.  I focus on something other than God and Christ.  And God looks at that and turns me head and says

"Christy, I will NOT let my name be defamed".  I want to be number one.  Not anyone else or anything else.  "Christy, in my you will be satisfied. Find that in me.  Come to me you who are weary and I will give you rest.  Fixate your eyes on me, the author and perfector of your faith. I know the plans I have for you Christy, plans to prosper you and not to harm you.  I knew you and loved you before the foundation of the world.  Cast your cares on me, and I will care for you.  Draw near to me and I will draw near to you.  Trust in my unfailing love.  I will never leave you nor forsake you.  I have chosen you Christy. I demonstrated that in while you were still a sinner, I died for you.  I love you.  Trust me.  Put me on top.  Give me the glory.  Let me refine you.  Rejoice in you affliction, for what results is beautiful"

No comments: