Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Matthew 26

Matthew 26:11-12
"The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.  When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial."

The pouring of perfume on Jesus showed the highest respect. This perfume was the price of about a year's wages. A lot to "waste" on one man.  She didn't care though.  She loved him so much she was willing to spill it all on him.

This verse is talking about how there are always opportunities to help the poor for they will always exist, but this opportunity to exalt Jesus Christ as King would not.  She was showing her upmost respect and love for thsi man, offering the most expensive of perfumes.

When he says she was doing it for burial, we dont' know if she knew or not whether this was truth.  My hunch is she knew that Jesus' time was running short.  She had seen the pharisees getting anxious and had listened to what Jesus had been saying and quite possibly understood what he had been saying much more than even the disciples had.  She was just getting her one last show of affection out to him.  That's why Jesus said before.  "this is a beautiful thing"  She was professing her love, her devotion, her committment.

How do I profess my committment
        -prayer
       -reading
       -plans for my life
        -choosing him
       -growing
WOuld I be willing to give up the most precious thing I have for Christ???

Have I listened intently enough that I would know that this was Jesus' final time here on earth??

Would I be that woman or the woman working in the kitchen??

God,
I pray i would be the woman that laid at your feet pouring the perfume. What devotion she had. All she wanted was to show how much she cared for you and was willing to give up her most precious possesion for you.  God I pray that I will be a woman like this sitting at your feet just craving to hear you talk and give you my all.  You deserve my 100% and nothing less. My life is yours.  

 


No comments: