Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Matthew 21:23-46

The parable of the two sons

"What do you think?  There was a man who had two sons.  He went to the first and said, " son, go and work today in the vineyard"
"I will not," he answered , but later changed his mind and went. 
The the father went to the other son and said the same thing.  he answered " I will, sir" but he did not go.
Which of the two did what his father wanted.
"the first" they answered
Jesus said to them, "truly I tell you , the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did.  And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him."

I totally didn't understand this at first. I was soo confused. but its actually really sly. Jesus was a pretty mischievous perosn.  He was trying to convict the Pharasees here.

First he asks, What do you think?
He wants them to look into what he is saying and see themselves and who they are in the story.

The first son represents the tax collectors and the Prostitutes
When they first hear about Jesus and repentance and God, they reject the idea, but as they realize the truth and the benefits of it; they repent and turn their lives over.

The second son on the other hand represents the Pharasees
They say they believe and promise they will do it and follow Jesus, but in reality they are hipocrits. They talk the talk and don't walk the walk.  JOhn the Baptist came and showed them the way to righteousness and tehy didn't believe. 

God,
Which one am I? The believer or the hipocrit? I pray witha ll my heart taht I will chose to follow you with every aspect of my mind.  I have been the hipocrit before, but now I chose to believe and want ot follow you.  God make me the disciple you desire of me.  Give me a passion and a love.  I will follow whereever you lead me.


No comments: