Sunday, March 13, 2011

Resolved

Adultery
    27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[e] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
Matthew 5:27-30

As I have been studying through Matthew, i came across this passage and read through it quickly.I doubted that the Lord would want to teach me anything from this passage. Yet, it has been on this passage that I have found much strength in the past few weeks. 

Let me restate...in my version :). 

*Christy's Application Version of Mt. 5:27-30*
"You have heard that the Bible says, "You shall guard your heart/you shall fixate on Christ/you shall abide in Christ alone/etc." But I tell you that anyone who rests their mind on the things of this world, or sets their hearts on a future fantasy has already let their guard down.  We must take caution, actively! Be careful not take a passive approach lest our whole bodies fall into sin."

Yes, this is a very edited and applicational approach, but nevertheless got me thinking.  My mind wanders, whether on unwholesome thoughts, or comparisons, judgments, daydreaming, etc. It happens.  We may not be able to control a passing thought or what the world displays to us, but we do have a choice on what our minds rest. With the Lord's help, we can resolve to think upon pure and good things that will benefit us.  

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. 
Philippians 4:8


Lord,
I resolve to choose you. I resolve to rest my heart and mind on you. Yet, without you Father, I am incapable. I need your strength and your wisdom. More of you and less of me.  



2 comments:

Kailin said...

I needed this. Thanks for sharing

Betsy Cook said...

I have really liked reading your posts :) they're encouraging.