Thursday, March 24, 2011

Draw Closer

God,
I feel like my words are many.  There are so many things to pray for, so many people that are hurting. I feel overwhelmed. I don’t feel like there is enough minutes in the day to truly pray for each one of the things that need prayer and I am feeling burdened for.  I feel like the Gentiles in some sense in matthew when it says, “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.  Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him” (Matthew 6:7-8).  I pray empty and numerous prayers trying to make sure I pray for each one of the things I say I will pray for.   But father I thank you. I find comfort in Hebrew 7:25 which says, “Consequently, he is able to save the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.”  Even though Jesus lived long ago, his ministry is present. He is sitting, because his saving work is done, at the right hand of God praying for exactly what I need before it is uttered.  You know my heart and you know what I am burdened for. You hear the cries for prayer and know the pain in my heart for the needs of camp and friends, family, relationships, struggles, and circumstances.  Oh Father, even just reading this I find peace in knowing all you want is for me to draw close to you.  Your intention in bringing these burdens to my knowledge and to my heart is not for me to get overwhelmed, but create a reason for me to draw close to you. In the midst of this anxiety, you tell us to cast our cares on you.  Just yesterday I studied Matthew 6 the last portion which tells us to not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow has enough worry on its own. We are to seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you (Matthew 6:33).  Father, in the midst of pain after pain and burden after burden, you are calling me. You have been saying LOUD AND CLEAR “Christy, draw close to me”. God, you don’t want me to pray empty prayers just because I said I will pray for someone. You want me to stop, and take time to be with you, and allow you to comfort me as I prayerfully give you my anxieties and the burdens of others. I do not have to bear it on my own. You are at work; your will will be done. It is not all up to me! Praise the Lord!! I am so blessed to be on your team. If God is for us, WHO can be against us! (romans 8:31).

Lord, today you know all the people and situations that need prayer.  But God there are a few I want to take special time to lift up to you.

First off,
Carla & the Byron community.  God, there has been several deaths that have shaken up this city and my dear friend. Lord, I have no idea what you are up to, but father in the midst of your great plan, provide comfort and peace to a restless and hurting people.  They need your divine strength, and your loving comfort to make it through this trial.  Lord, I may not know this girl, but I am burdened most especially for Carla. Father, so much has been going on in her life lately and I hurt for her.  Even just reading about divorce for my class, I am burdened even more deeply for her and how and proud of how she has sought you through her life. Praise your name for being so faithful to her.  Father, be with her, grow her, comfort her, love her, and draw her into your presence. In the midst of this trial reveal yourself in big ways. Help me to be a good loyal friend to her and to show unconditional love to her. Thank you for the blessing of her friendship.

Second father,
Pavia. Father, she too is struggling. Lord, I don’t know the full extent due to the lack of communication options, but I can tell her time in Cuba has been painful. Father, please, please please for the sake of a good friend, comfort her, love her, heal her.  Lord, there has been so much pain in her story and it brings me to tears just thinking about it.  God, even as she returns to spend a summer serving as a counselor it will be HARD. Lord, I know it was a struggle to adjust for me as well and I know it will be for her. God, give me supernatural understanding as we begin the summer together. Help me to be a good friend to her as I listen as she struggles to move back and become apart of the US culture once again. It truly is a shock to be back and I pray she can rise up to the challenge seeking you first in the midst. And lord, be with her over there. Help her to stay strong amidst opposition. Help her to find strength to resist temptation and fall more deeply in love with you. Thank you for her devotion. Thank you for her deep pursuit of you. Thank you for her servant heart. I admire her so much.

Lord,
I also pray for my relationship with Jamie. Lord, I want her to be my best friend. She is my sister and I love her. Lord, mend that relationship. Help us to become each other’s biggest fan and to build a healthy friendship. You can do that and I ask for your help.

Finally God,
Lord, I lift up this summer, specifically unity amongst the staff. Father, I pray that godly men and women would be drawn to Covenant harbor. I pray for leaders especially. Ones that are willing to serve the campers with everything, but also lead the staff in drawing close to Christ. Lord raise up leadership amongst the counselors to be women and men of influence, that challenge the staff to deeper longing to love Jesus more, to serve deeper, and draw close to you.  Father, I pray for unity. Lord, may it start at staff training and continue to grow throughout the summer.  My prayer is that we would be like the fellowship of the believers of Acts 2:42-47.
            “And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.  And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles.  And all who believed were together and had all things in common.  And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.  And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.”
Lord, I beg of you, plead with you. Father, may this staff LONG for you, may they crave for you.  May this staff be a team that prays daily, may this be a staff that devotes themselves to personal spiritual growth. Lord may they not be content with where they are but desire for more of you.  Father, may their fixation be one and may they have all things in common as they seek you and you alone.  Lord I pray that this team would have everything in common as their purpose is single-mindedMay they seek first your kingdom, and have healthy eyes of single purpose, serving only one master (Matthew 6:22-24 excerpts).  God, I can’t do this. I can’t “create” a staff that longs for you. Father I am so thankful that this is not a burden I have to bear. You are at work already in their hearts, drawing them to you. THANK YOU. I am thankful that you in control. I am blessed to be on your team.  James 5:16b-18 says, “The prayer of a righteous person has great power.  Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. The he prayed again and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.” God, my God, I pray, that you would bring unity to the staff at Covenant Harbor father. Not just any unity father, but unity that would draw us closer and closer to you.  Lord, may we witness your power and glory revealed this summer in the campers hearts and in the lives of the counselors. You have the power to transform upside down. Father, you did that in my life and I know it to be true. Lord, please father, reveal your glory.  In the name of your Son, bring unity this summer! Refine us to be devoted servants of your throne!
            John 14:12-14 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.  Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it!’

No comments: