Monday, June 9, 2008

Parable of the weeds

Today: Matthew 13:24-43

Passage: Matthew 13:30 (Parable of the Weeds)
"Let both grow together until the harvest.  At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn."

Again I feel overwhelmed with just this tidbit of the passage. There is so much here to learn.

Both-good and evil; weeds and wheat; the godly and ungodly
harvest-when Jesus returns
harvesters-angels
barn-heaven
burned-in hell

There are many things that really strike me about this passage.
1.  To create wheat it takes lots of attention. They must water and plant and keep watch on the field. In this same way Christ didn't put us here and leave us to suffer on our own. He is constantly by our side watching over us. Not only this but he is watering us and trying to help us grow and not be destroyed by the weeds growing on all sides of us.

2.  I find it interesting that Jesus says this parable and lets the weeds grow together with the wheat. Every day every moment satan and sin is crouching at our door it desires to have us but we must master it (genesis 4:6-7).  Im a very visual learner and I remember planting flowers and picking the weeds out.  The weeds had to be picked from the very root and even when you thought you had picked your last one another weed would sprout up.  You can't get rid of them easily.  Even though the battle is tough the prize is worthwhile and there is no weed too big for the planter.

3.  Jesus clearly makes a distinction here that separation will occur. The godly and ungodly will be parted at the end of time.  There will be no in between just wheat or weed.  this pain and agony of sin trying to overcome us will be over in the end and  the enemy will get what he deserves.

4. Just as all the wheat will be gathered into the barn, Jesus is letting us know that all the christians will be gathered together. Everyone from France, to australia, africa and USA, we will all be brought together into the barn of the planter. Into a place of shelter and fellowship with one another. 

I think Jesus is asking me personally to stand firm. Just derooting one weed doesn't mean the fight is over. There are more battles to go. But I can't be discouraged. I have to remember that Jesus is always there to help me fight the weeds off with the true weed killer.  Plant vs Plant doesn't work, but with a weed killer put on by the planter, the fight is not lost. 

God-
Please help me to give my battles to you. Help me to keep strong and not give up whatever weeds may arrive in my life. You are always there and glory be to your name.




No comments: