Sunday, June 29, 2008

Matthew 20

Matthew 20:26-28

"Whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.  And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many"


1. Whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.
In God's work, to become great doesn't require money, status, popularity, or material goods.  It requires humility.  I think sometimes I get caught up in how can I be the most popular the greatest, the best, but in reality I need to become the least. The next question is really what does it mean to be a servant?

2  Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve:
Real ministry is done for the benefit of those ministered to, not for the benefit of the minister.  Many people are in the ministry for what they can receive where materially or emaotionally from their people instead of for what they can give. 

How did Jesus serve:
-Died on cross
-washed feet of disciples
-Restored lives
-Put others above himself


God,
especially as I head off to Kentucky in a few weeks, I want to learn how to serve as you served. I want to have a humble spirit with loads of love.  I want to be an example to the kids of what it really means to serve and be a disciple of Christ.



No comments: