Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Matthew 13:44-58

reading: Matthew 13:44-58

Vs: Matthew 13:52

"He said to them, 'Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as the old.'"

This passage confused me.


Instructed- comes from a greek word meaning to make a disciple. Therefore this teacher of the law is merely passing on what he has first been taught. We must continue to learn so we can continue to teach.

ooohhh...okay beginning to understand.

first we have this owner of the house. He is the head honcho of his home and has lots of responsibility. He must feed the family, provide for the home, constantly secure the home etc.  if these treasures were food, the owner would mix them to create a balance for his family so that neither is wasted. 

this might be saying thsi...
In this same way Christ wants us to create a balance of the New and Old testaments so that neither one is missed because they have equally strong messages. The Old testament may not be as appealing or seem as useful, but it has ideas and laws that are important today. If it isn't specifically talking about the new and old testaments it could just be saying use new and old truths, illustrations, aspects, applications, and experiences.

What exactly is the kingdom of heaven in this passage?
In other parts of the New Testament and Matthew is talks about how Jesus would say the Kingdom of God is upon you or ....now the Kingdom of God is near.  Because of this, I think its right to say in this text that Jesus isn't talking about the coming Kingdom but that it is present with us in a different form. It is present in the form of jesus christ and the gospel.

I think God wants me to not just focus on learning more new things about the Bible but also the old things.  I need to refresh my memory because there is so much more that can be seen from different stories I have heard hundreds of times.  God is always pointing out new aspects.

God,
You are so incredible. You know exactly what you were doing, and exactly what plans you have for my life. I pray that I can take my old experiences and apply them to my life to help me learn. I pray I will find new truths in those bible stories I have heard since I was young. I pray especially as I am donig this with my mentoring girls that you would provide the words that would directly go to their hearts and they would be filled with your love. Thank you for putting each of them in my life. 

No comments: