Sunday, February 28, 2010

Old Writing: Voice of God

So, a few things have randomly lined up interestingly in my Bible reading.
1. I am reading the Psalms
2. I am reviewing the Semp manual
3. I just took a class on 1 Kings

I started reading through the Semp manual, and as a part of revising it, I am also doing it myself. The theme this summer is wired for sound. Last night as I was reading through the first day, we studied the passage of Isaiah 55. I had never really read through it and its focus was on listening to God. Are you hearing what God is saying to you. It then makes you take a more indepth look at verses 1 to 3 in which i found this part
0"Come, all you who are thristy, come to the waters"
I immediately remembered Psalm 23 which i had read just a few days before which says something similar
in vs 2
"He leads me besides quiet waters and restores my soul"

THEN i remembered also the story of Elijah and his experience in listening to the voice of GOd. He was out on the mountain waiting for the Lord to pass by and he witnessed a great and powerful wind, an earthquake, and finally a fire, but the Lord wasnt in any of those. Then it says in 1Kings 19
"an after the fire came a gentle whisper" this is where the Lord was.

As I meditated upon those veres I realzied their common traits. Quiet waters, gentle whispers, water. They are all places of solitute, silence, openness. So often we find ourselves lost in the busyness of life, complaining that we haven´t heard God´s voice speak to us. God is there...he´s talking... but we can´t hear him over the noise of life. It is in the quiet we hear the Lord.

Well, then today i read this in Psalm 29
"The voice of the Lord is over the waters. The God of glory thunders, the Lord thunders over the mighty waters. THe voice of the Lord is powerful, the voice of the Lord is majestic. The voice of the Lord breaks the cedarsñ the Lord breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon...The voice of the Lord strikes with flashes of lightning, the voice of the Lord shakes the desert, The Lord shakes the Desert of Kadesh. The voice of the Lord twists the oaks, and strips the forest bare"

So this got me confused, really confused. I thought the Lord was in the quiet the lord was the whisper in the wind. But here it describes the strength the fire, earthquake, and powerful wind had, yet God wasnt in. Im still a bit confused about this whole idea, but this is my take on it currently..

I think God draws us to the waters to show us his thundering voice. His voice is majestic and powerful and oh so important, but we dont take the time to seek it to draw close to him because when we do, we will see what David did. That the voice of the Lord is HUGE. Its sad to think that even through flashes of lightning and shaking deserts, that we can still miss and be distracted from the voice of God. Our focus is so off. We spend our time worrying, or planning, or talking, when if we just would listen, he would guide us.

My challenge to you this week, if your readin this, is to take a half an hour to yourself and let the lord lead you beside quiet waters to restore your soul. Let him show you his majestic and powerful voice. Open your heart to what he has to say. Come, listen and live

Isaiah 55-3
"Give ear and come to me, listen that you may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David"

No comments: