Sunday, February 28, 2010

Old Writing: Eyes on HIm

Eyes on Him
“Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith” Hebrews 12:1-2

This morning I went for a run outside of Port. It had been awhile; a long while. My legs were out of shape, my body not fully prepared, but my heart and mind ready for the task that lie ahead. I knew the goal. Coronado; a 15 minute jog from the school. Not an unreasonable goalm but for one who is out of shape; like myself, an undertaking. On certain days when the sky is clear, the tip of the cathedral in Coronado is able to be seen. On those days, I make the greatest progress. It’s a compelling goal, with my eyes set on the prize. Some days though, like today, something is corrupting my view. One time it will be rain or clouds, other times, like today, it was the sun. During these days the run is arduous. My eyes are focused downward to avoid the sun and I watch the sun so that I won’t fall. The goal is forgotten. Even my thoughts are against me. Inwardly, my mind after just a few minutes, is debating whether my body is up for the task.
As long as we can see our goal in sight, there is no run we can’t achieve. But take away the vision, block the cathedral and the result is as discouraging as the journey. Why continue if there is no relief in sight. We are what we see and if we only see ourselves, we are screwed. Luckily, humans were never meant to be kept from seein the goal. God has every intention to being the clearly seen cathedral in Coronado. He came near to us purposely to be seen. That is why the journey is so different when we have the clear view. Those who see him are never the same. His glory, his majesty, his beauty, gives us the strength to never stop until we reach him. Seeing Jesus is what Christianity is all about and this is why those who see him today are never the same. Its not possible to give up.

No comments: